Hummus means chickpeas in Arabic and is a favourite dish all the way from Lebanon to Yemen and beyond! Dress up the typical hummus dip with some unconventional ingredients for an international flavour.
Hummus is one of those versatile and delicious dishes that we simply cannot get enough of. Usually eaten as a dip with flat bread or breadsticks, hummus is also great as a topping on linguettes, served canape style. For this recipe, we have added beetroot to the mix, adding a delicious pop of colour that will make your dining table look and taste amazing.
For the hummus
- 1 packet / tin chickpeas
- 250g roasted beetroot
- Half tsp chilli salt / celery & lime salt to taste
- Half lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- Stem of fresh dill (chopped finely)
1. Wash and peel beetroot, cut into quarters and grill at 180°C in the oven for 15- 20 minutes until soft.
2. Toast the chickpeas with the ground cumin in a pan with a little olive oil until golden.
3. Place the chickpeas, spices and all the ingredients apart from the dill into a food processor, and blend till smooth.
4. Transfer hummus into a serving bowl and sprinkle chopped dill to taste
Serve the beetroot hummus topped with baby kale leaves, feta cheese, and a little cilantro on flat breads as a delicious canape for parties and gatherings.
Originally published on The Providore.